"Constructed in 1879 on the north side of the courthouse square, Albion’s Opera House served as a popular gathering space for generations. In recent years, however, the building’s status was uncertain, at least until a pair of lawyers from Ligonier stepped forward to rescue it from limbo. It’s a preservation win a decade in the making.
After one of the building’s owners passed away in 2014, The Super Town of Albion Restoration (S.T.A.R.), the city’s Main Street group, partnered with the Courthouse Square Preservation Society, using a loan from Indiana Landmarks’ Efroymson Family Endangered Places Loan Fund to buy the building. Indiana Landmarks hired an architectural firm to develop a rehabilitation plan and used a $5,000 grant from the Efroymson Family Fund of the Central Indiana Community Foundation to address the most urgent exterior repairs.
The groups partnered to market the building, but finding the right buyers proved elusive until Everett and Helen Newman spotted the Albion Opera House on Indiana Landmarks’ real estate web page in 2018." (Indiana Landmarks)
[Read full story at Indiana Landmarks]